Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fishing Forbes Lake


Forbes lake has to be my favorite lake (pond), due to its small size, 2 acres, and abundance of fish to be caught.  There have been days when I could catch cutthroat trout, perch, bluegill, largemouth bass, and crappie, I have been told there are also catfish, but I have yet to catch one. The largest largemouth I caught was 3 lbs. and there have been plenty of perch close to a pound apiece.  Half of the lake is not developed and the other half has five houses around it.  It is very close to the freeway which adds to the noise, but the visual beauty of the lake makes up for it.  The fishing pressure is is minimal and over the years of fishing it, I have witnessed the size and quantity of the fish increased. 

The fishing for cutthroat trout is best in February through April. The average size is 12 inches.  By April the other species pick up and continue to be great to good through the remaining days of November.  I never tried live worms in this lake, because the fish are always willing to take a lure.  Rooster tailTrout Magnet and plastic worms make up my arsenal for catching the fish.  I was even successful with the fly rod with nymphs and dry flys.

Public access to the lake is through the back of the condos.  The lake is ideal for float tubing or a small inflatable boat.  This is a gem in Kirkland with regards to fishing.  Kirkland has plans to increase the public access to the lake in the future.  Enjoy the solitude while we still have it.

Tight lines and may you say fish on!

No comments:

Post a Comment